My Background

I am a freelancer and entrepreneur who is task-oriented, pay attention to details and a team-worker. I'm also an avid investor in small ideas, keen reader and social activist who is enthusiastic in finding new opportunities by combining creative and analytical skills. I'm also a strategist who is systematic in approaching challenges. I grew up around farming communities, urban townships, mining towns and city metropolis within the various provinces in South Africa. This exposure lead me to be interested in human interaction and to appreciate what the human mind is capable of achieving. Through my vast interaction with different people, I managed to increasing my personal network. It became clear at an early stage of my life with the ability to spot opportunities which made me by nature, to become a social enterprenuer.....

Social Entrepreneur:
noun
  1. defined as a person who establishes an enterprise with the aim of solving social problems or effecting social change.

As an individual with a positive outlook towards my challenges, I've embarked on the most interesting journeys in my life which I intend on documenting. These are the glimpse of my trials and tribulations because I believe that: "You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are...".. I was once told that: "If you don't have enough money then you haven't helped enough people yet". The road to riches is paved with acquisition of specific knowledge.

Favorite Quote:

“A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.”
― Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

My Work Experience:
Technician | Draughtsman | Planner

Previous Position(s)

Executive Director | Dihlakanyane Trading (Pty) Ltd. t/a Instructor Labs
Tshwane, South Africa | February 2012 - April 2016
Director of Operations | Dithokeng Cleaning Services cc
Tshwane, South Africa | August 2006 - December 2007
Managing Director | Keyamo Management Solutions (Pty) Ltd. t/a Keyamo Technologies
Johannesburg, South Africa | April 2003 - November 2016
Design Draughtsman | Mamphake Office Supplies cc t/a Mamphake Designs
Rayton, South Africa | July 1999 - February 2017


Current Position(s)

Planning Consultant | Mamphake Mabule Inc. t/a Documan Consulting
Rayton, South Africa | 2012 - present


Freelancer & Entreprenuer
My Education and Skill(s):
  • Management:
  • I am an Enterpreneur with Financial, Production and Marketing management skills operating within the building and construction environment using BIM, Microsoft Office & Project, ACCPAC & Pastel (SAGE) Accounting softwares, Open Workbench including working on Building automation systems. I studied BCom:Management; and a Programme in Financial Management at UNISA - I evaluate and prepare bids and specifications while assisting clients in the approval processes. I also prepare reports including project costing/estimates and statistical calculations. I also supervise and monitor production in-house and on-site while training personnel in the use and correct installation of products. I plan and allocate work using work orders and production schedules. I market products, liaise with customer while developing new and improving existing range of products and services.
  • Technical:
  • I am a Freelancer with Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical and Piping draughting skills operating within the building and construction industry using AutoCAD, SketchUp Pro, CoralDraw, SQL Database Design including software programming in GCode, HTML, Visual Basic, Python, and Javascript. I studied course(s) in Architectural Draughting and AutoCAD at Inscape College; Mechanical Drawing and Design at Tshwane South TVET College; and NDip:Electrical Engineering at Tshwane University of Technology. I prepare and present project drawings and construction documentation, including producing and interpreting CAD/CAM detailed drawings according to SANS 10400, SABS 0432, SABS 044, SABS 0144, BS 1553, BS 1635 and BS 3939, SANS 204 and SABS 048. I also fabricate, install, test/repair/modify and maintain electrical and mechanical systems according to SANS 10142, SANS 10198, SANS 10292, SANS 10108, SANS 60079, SANS 61241, SANS 10123 and including the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
  • My passion is finding sustainable and cost-saving solutions while being energy efficient.......

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Being Determined | Opinion


Have you heard the story about how they train baby elephants? As a baby, the elephant is tied to a big tree by a strong chain. The elephant instinctively tries to break free, but it’s not strong enough. And the more it tries, the more the chain digs into the elephant’s skin, causing great pain. This pain convinces the elephant to stop struggling and to give up. Later, when the elephant is fully grown, the owner will tie it to a little stake with a small rope. That elephant is strong enough to free itself, but because of it’s prior experiences, it doesn’t even try to use its strength to break free.

Now with that in mind as a social entrepreneur, I too have experienced this same form of learned helplessness. I let past failures and the pain associated with those failures paralyze me to the point of inaction. I felt trapped and powerless while blaming myself even blaming others. I never wallow in self-pity but I was miserable because I didn't get what I wanted. Even when I had some great opportunity that were suppose to change my future, I didn’t take them. I then learned that there’s nothing wrong or broken with me. I just haven’t put in the effort and achieved the results that I, yes I am truly capable.

How do I know all this? First, because at first I felt like I was broken and helpless. But after I started working on myself and putting in the effort, I started achieving the results I wanted. Second, I’ve started meeting new people who moved from complete hopelessness. Everyone I’ve worked with who has taken consistent action has improved their circumstances, achieved their goals, and has experienced happiness at work and in life. I had two choices: Either I take a passive approach, which rarely results in success Or, I take control of my life, create a new reality and future by taking action.

The thing is I forgave myself and I let go of past mistakes. It’s easy to blame yourself for not taking action. I was frustrated because I allowed myself-limited beliefs to hold me back. Whether you realize it or not, that regret is eats you up inside. The reality is, all along I’ve been shaping my future. But instead of letting fear and inaction dictate who I become, now I taking those opportunities to tell myself the right story. I know I have what it takes to be happy and successful. I have broken free from my past failure and now achieving what I wanted in life. I have also acknowledged what I'm good at. That's right, There’s something that everyone is good at and It could be cooking, technical stuff, writing, building things, or any number of other abilities. That’s right, you’re not completely helpless! I just ask myself why is it that I'm succeeding in those areas? I'm not afraid to ask for help and asking for help, especially when I'm at a low point in life was really hard to do. But I have learned that the people who care about me want to be there for me. My plan always included to set small attainable goals. We all want to achieve our biggest dreams right now. But you know what, none of that happens in the real world. The key for me was to take my big long-term goals and break it down into small manageable chunks.

Lastly, I have become more patient. I was bombarded with the myth of instant gratification and success. But for every success story I learned about there’s an untold story of hard work, persistence, and the struggle that came before. Patience has been the hardest one for me personally. But I’ve been able to find motivation by recognizing and celebrating the small victories along the way, and finding a way to be conscious of and to enjoy the journey......

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Profile